Wednesday 27 April 2011

Shorts: Edward Copestick and Adam Anthony's ‘The Maestro’


I’ve heard the BBC have been commissioning on the Canon 5D and 7D. Whether or not this is true, I don’t know. I’m not sure I even care, because I was always more interested in how the camera performed.

When the DSLR first hit the market, I spoke to a couple of DoPS. They didn’t seem keen; they thought it was a gimmick and, frankly, I agreed. The way I saw it was, if it looks like a stills camera; it is a stills camera. Seriously. It’s never going to be able to pan or go for big moves. It’s never going to give you the full film effect. But then I see something special and I think, wow, maybe I’m wrong; maybe the 5D isn’t so bad after all.

‘The Maestro’ was shot on the 5D by producer Edward Copestick and director Adam Anthony. They used a bunch of lenses (50mm, 24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm) and have come up with something so slick, it could double as a promo for the camera – it’s that good, and this year it’s already won 3rd place for Tropfest ‘s for ‘Best Cinematography’. The whole thing will probably drum up a little business for Canon. In fact, given that you can pick a 5D up online for around a £1.5K, this short could have everyone and their dog giving filmmaking a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment